Childrenīs hospice cash box stolen
A COMMUNITY has been left outraged after “lowlife” thieves stole a safe full of money being raised for terminally ill children from the Neptune sculpture in Charlestown.
The safe containing around £200 for Little Harbour hospice in Porthpean was spotted missing from the giant carving of the sea god Neptune on Charlestown Road on Monday morning.
The 8ft sculpture, which is carved from a felled beech tree, features the head of Neptune, wearing a crown of shells and surrounded by sea creatures and was commissioned by Sarita and Jason Miller, who live in the house behind, and carved by Peter Martin.
The alarm was raised on Easter Monday when the entire safe was discovered missing from the hedge next to the carving after being stolen by thieves.
Sarita told the Voice the safe had been there on Sunday as her brother-in-law had taken photos of it during a christening in the garden.
“I got up on Monday morning to walk the dog and my husband thought it was a bit of the carving that had been broken off or pinched,” she explained.
“Then we saw it was the collection box. We are really upset that someone would do this as there is a plaque on the carving explaining that the money is for the children’s hospice.”
Since the sculpture was completed in 2011 it has raised more than £6,000 for Little Harbour.
Sarita said: “It does really well and we have got a sign that says feel free to take a pic however please leave a donation. People generally take a photo and then go to the box and stick some change in.
“It was a substantial safe with big bolts screwed in the hedge. We have got the key to undo it so whoever has taken it will need an angle grinder to get into it.
“We are just really upset. It is being collected for really sick and end of life children and keeps that place running. I just think on the whole the public has shown such kindness and generosity over the years with donations and one person has undone all of that.
“Perhaps if they started trying to get into it they will see the plaque on the front saying where the donations go and drop it back overnight or put it somewhere we can find it.
“It’s one thing stealing but this is a for the children’s hospice. I don’t know what kind of person would do that. It is just unthinkable.
“I just cannot believe it.”
Sarita said she was also worried they were now losing money as there was no secure safe for donations and is calling on any security firms who are able to offer any support.
An appeal for information about the theft of the safe has been shared on social media and met with disbelief from angry residents.
Pamela Fazakarley-Gould said: “What low life would do that. I hope they never need the help that these children need.”
Lisa Rowe added: “How very sad and cruel if they had any idea that Little Harbour runs solely on charity.
“I hope they will never have to use Little Harbour for any reason they are very sick. I hope they are caught, such lowlifes.”
Anna Freight said: “This is just so wrong. I’m absolutely disgusted and so disappointed. To those people, you have taken money aimed for desperately ill children.”
Amie Joslin commented: “Absolutely disgraceful. So sad the lack of respect round here now, most don’t care about anything other than themselves.”
St Austell police inspector, Ed Gard, called the crime despicable, adding: “It’s a horrid crime when Little Harbour provides such a valuable service to families.
“It struggles with funding and needs all the help it can get to maintain such valuable services.”
Anyone with information about the theft should call police on 101 quoting crime reference number CR/028517/17.