Newquay Voice for News, Offers, Reader Comments. Every Wednesday Only 60p

Sell for Free in the Voice

It's free to sell your unused items in the Voice. No fees, no commission.

Place Your Free Ad

Buy your favourite pictures

Ordering high quality prints or digital copies is quick and simple.

More information

News Archive > General > Alert after tumble dryer blaze

Alert after tumble dryer blaze

By Simon Fernley 30th August 2017

Alert after tumble dryer blaze
The damage caused by the tumble dryer fire.

SAFETY advice has been issued after the living room of a house in Newquay was severely damaged following a tumble dryer catching fire.

The blaze broke out on the ground floor of a two-storey property on Henver Road on Tuesday, August 22, at around 10.30am. Drivers were warned to avoid the area to make sure the emergency services could get through.

Two appliances from Newquay Fire Station attended the scene and firefighters, some wearing breathing apparatus, used hose reels and a thermal imaging camera to extinguish the fire.

The firefighters managed to prevent the blaze from spreading to the rest of the house before clearing the smoke from the building. The living room and its contents were destroyed in the fire, which was extinguished within an hour. The cause of the blaze was accidental.

Newquay Fire Station stated on social media the incident could have been much worse. It tweeted: “House fire in the town. Great stop by crews from spreading to the rest of the house.”
Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service stated it is important to ensure electrical items in the home are well maintained following the fire.

A spokesman said: “Fires can occur in electrical items in the home, such as washing machines and tumble dryers.

“It is important that they are properly maintained and kept clean. Sometimes machines are recalled that might be faulty, so it is important to register your machine with the manufacturer.

“Tumble dryers and washing machines contain powerful motors with fast moving parts that get very hot. If you do not clean and maintain your machine, excess fluff or lint can build up over time and catch fire.

“Remember to always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions before using your dryer. Never leave your appliance unattended or running overnight.

“Never overload your washing machine or dryer or put items in that have been used to soak up flammable liquids. Keep your dryer well ventilated, ensuring the vent pipe is kink-free, not blocked or crushed in any way.

“Clean the filter in your dryer after every use. Have your dryer serviced regularly by a qualified engineer. Don’t ignore the warning signs. Does your tumble dryer smell of burning? Are your clothes taking longer to dry? Do the clothes feel hotter at the end of the cycle? Does the external vent flap stay shut when the dryer is on?”

By Simon Fernley 30th August 2017

Add your own comment
Name
Email
Comments


Spam Test
Captcha Spam Test

Please enter the text from the image

Top of Page