Newquay Voice for News, Offers, Reader Comments. Every Wednesday Only 60p

Sell for Free in the Voice

It's free to sell your unused items in the Voice. No fees, no commission.

Place Your Free Ad

Buy your favourite pictures

Ordering high quality prints or digital copies is quick and simple.

More information

News Archive > General > Boardmasters seeks smaller expansion

Boardmasters seeks smaller expansion

By Warren Wilkins 5th April 2017

Boardmasters seeks smaller expansion
Revellers at a recent Boardmasters festival.

 
BOARDMASTERS organisers are due to submit a fresh planning application to increase the maximum capacity of the music festival at Watergate Bay in 2017 after its previous proposal was refused.

Vision Nine proposes an additional 5,000 revellers to help the popular music event at Trebelsue Farm grow, which would take the maximum capacity of the festival arena to 45,000.

The company’s previous plans to increase the capacity by 10,000 and a maximum capacity of 49,999, was rejected following councillors’ concerns the new traffic management plan has not been tested. The new traffic plan aims to reduce the number of cars exiting the site during the festival to alleviate pressure on the road network.

St Mawgan Cornwall councillor John Fitter previously stated he wanted to ensure the ‘traffic chaos’ on the A3059 and the road leading up to the Treloy camp site and the RAF St Mawgan base is alleviated before supporting a 10,000 capacity increase at Boardmasters.

Co-CEO of Vision Nine Andrew Topham says the Boardmasters team has listened to, and taken on board, the detailed feedback from the Cornwall Council planning application process and has submitted the new plans to ensure that the “positive evolution of the event is in the best interests of everyone involved.”

The initial Boardmasters application received overwhelming support from local residents and 60 businesses with only four local businesses submitting objections due to concerns they would be detrimentally affected.

Mr Topham believes an extension of an additional 5,000 attendees would bring an estimated additional 200 temporary jobs, £100,000 in extended contracts with Cornwall businesses, over £2 million in marketing coverage for Newquay and a £4 million injection into the economy from visitor spend.

Mr Topham said: “We were evidently disappointed with the recent decision, however, as we have always made clear, we are all keen that we work collaboratively with all of the authorities, support organisations, officers and surrounding businesses and individuals to ensure that our highly successful events are created, and continue to run, in the most practical and efficient ways.

“We have swiftly developed a fresh, new set of plans in ongoing consultation with local residents and local businesses, and we are continually working in tandem with the responsible authorities to further improve traffic management and lessen any impact that event has on the surrounding area

“In line with the feedback that some felt that the music festival was growing too fast, we have amended our figures to a growth of 5,000 people for this year. We firmly believe the new application will deliver sustainable growth for the festival itself and for all of our local suppliers and temporary staff.”

By Warren Wilkins 5th April 2017

Add your own comment
Name
Email
Comments


Spam Test
Captcha Spam Test

Please enter the text from the image

Top of Page